Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Well, here's the first post from the DR. The mission is having issues with the internet at the moment - I don't understand the situation, so I won't try to explain it, but basically it means that if I want to do anything online I have to go to this little computer center right outside the village and pay 20 pesos for an hour online. Which sounds like a good deal (20 pesos is like 60 cents or so), until you sit down and realize that it's going to take about 15 minutes for the computer to open one page. And then, frustration of all frustrations, when my email finally came up, all the computers shut off suddenly for no apparent reason.
At the moment, though, I'm posting from a house in the capital that has a high speed internet connection that doesn't randomly decide to cut off. About a week ago I had a fever that hung around for a couple days, went away, and then came back even worse, so Fr. Gee decided it would be best if I came to Santo Domingo to have some tests done, just to make sure everything was ok. I'm feeling much better than I was, and I should be back in Banica by Saturday.
Life in Banica has been wonderful so far. I spent the first 10 days or so helping out in the parish garden - Fr. Gee has a plan to cultivate this garden and then use it to teach some of the children how to start their own gardens at home. Other than that, I've been spending a lot of time getting to know the people in the town, riding with Fr. Murphy to different campos, and working on my Spanish. Next week some of the teenagers in town and I are going to start giving 2-day camps for the children in some of the campos, with classes in sports, crafts, and catechism. The plan is to work for 3 weeks, moving to a new location every 2 days. Then, after those 3 weeks are up, classes start for the year, and my more permanent schedule begins.
I'd like to promise pictures soon, but I really have no idea when that will actually happen, so you'll have to trust me when I say that the views here are unbelievable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home