The other day, Jeremiah (my brother, for those who don’t know) and I were chatting (online) about how mentally lazy we've become since graduation, and I realized that I actually miss classes and studying and so forth. I guess this is the true HSD coming out in me. Anyway, as a way of taking care of my "school" fix, I’ve decided to start Creole lessons. One of my friends who speaks both Spanish and Creole has offered to meet with me a few times a week to teach me. I’ve only had a couple classes so far, and even though the atmosphere is far from Hillsdalian, it’s been fun. It’s an interesting language, and it’s kind of like a puzzle, or solving a code, trying to figure out what different word combinations mean. I really like it.
On an entirely different topic, I came across this the other day, and it made me think, so I thought I’d share it:
“The word of the Gospel, in fact, is not only to be heard but is also to be observed and put into practice. Consistency in behavior shows what one truly believes and is not limited only to things strictly church-related or spiritual but involves men and women in the entirety of their life experience and in the context of all their responsibilities. However worldly these responsibilities may be, their subject remains man, that is, the human being whom God calls, by means of the Church, to participate in his gift of salvation. Men and women must respond to the gift of salvation not with a partial, abstract, or merely verbal acceptance, but with the whole of their lives – in every relationship that defines life – so as not to neglect anything, leaving it in a profane and worldly realm where it is irrelevant or foreign to salvation.”
Really, it’s very obvious and basic, but it struck me because it made me realize that I hardly ever live this way. Sadly, I don’t think I’m the only one who makes such a divide between what I designate as my “spiritual life” and the rest of my daily activities. Am I a better person for going to Mass every morning if I continue to ignore the very real needs (be they physical, spiritual, emotional, whatever) of the people I see as I walk out of Mass and through the day?
On an entirely different topic, I came across this the other day, and it made me think, so I thought I’d share it:
“The word of the Gospel, in fact, is not only to be heard but is also to be observed and put into practice. Consistency in behavior shows what one truly believes and is not limited only to things strictly church-related or spiritual but involves men and women in the entirety of their life experience and in the context of all their responsibilities. However worldly these responsibilities may be, their subject remains man, that is, the human being whom God calls, by means of the Church, to participate in his gift of salvation. Men and women must respond to the gift of salvation not with a partial, abstract, or merely verbal acceptance, but with the whole of their lives – in every relationship that defines life – so as not to neglect anything, leaving it in a profane and worldly realm where it is irrelevant or foreign to salvation.”
Really, it’s very obvious and basic, but it struck me because it made me realize that I hardly ever live this way. Sadly, I don’t think I’m the only one who makes such a divide between what I designate as my “spiritual life” and the rest of my daily activities. Am I a better person for going to Mass every morning if I continue to ignore the very real needs (be they physical, spiritual, emotional, whatever) of the people I see as I walk out of Mass and through the day?

1 Comments:
that's so exciting that you're learning creole. Angelica speaks creole all the time to her family, and it makes me mad cuz i can't understand what she's saying. haha.
Post a Comment
<< Home