This past week was the first week for the violin school. I have 15 students at the moment (= 3 lessons a day), and several on a waiting list. We'll see how things go - if 2 or 3 end up learning to play decently, I'll be quite content. Funny story about Junior - we're keeping all the violins in a room in the parish school, so the kids have to come over to the parish when they want to practice. One afternoon, I was using the computer in the parish office when Oscar, one of my students, comes in to tell me that Junior needs to tell me something. From his voice and his face, I had a feeling that something had happened to one of the violins, but Junior is usually really careful with the violins so I figured it had to be something like a broken string. I go up to the violin room, and Junior is there waiting for me. The poor kid is literally trembling! I ask him what happened, and he starts taking deep breaths, and his eyes start watering up, and I start thinking wow, maybe it really is something worse than a broken string. So I open the violin case, preparing myself for the worst... but it turns out to be just a busted E string. I know I shouldn't have done it, but I started laughing because really, if you had seen Junior's face you would have laughed too. Poor little guy. I think he was really traumatized.
Saturday I had my first catechism class in Los Yareyes, one of the Bánica campos. It's going to be an 8-week class for the adults in the campo, each week covering a different topic: Creation and the Fall, the Annunciation, the Nativity, the Baptism of Jesus, the Last Supper, the Crucifixtion, the Resurrection, and Pentecost. So, Saturday we covered the first 3 chapters of Genesis and I think the class went pretty well - my main worry beforehand was keeping their attention, but I was impressed with how well they listened. I really enjoyed the class. Hopefully they did too - I guess I'll find out next week, if anyone shows up. =)
Saturday I had my first catechism class in Los Yareyes, one of the Bánica campos. It's going to be an 8-week class for the adults in the campo, each week covering a different topic: Creation and the Fall, the Annunciation, the Nativity, the Baptism of Jesus, the Last Supper, the Crucifixtion, the Resurrection, and Pentecost. So, Saturday we covered the first 3 chapters of Genesis and I think the class went pretty well - my main worry beforehand was keeping their attention, but I was impressed with how well they listened. I really enjoyed the class. Hopefully they did too - I guess I'll find out next week, if anyone shows up. =)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home