Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ok, I'm sorry that we're already halfway through January and I still don't have a 2007 post up yet. I've sort of had some excuses, though.
For pretty much all of the 12 days of Christmas, I had some very unwelcome guests trying to set up house in my intestines, but we finally put a stop to that, and now I'm just trying to get over this nasty cold I've come down with since it's been SO cold lately. Today when I woke up it was only 64.1 degrees, according to my alarm clock.
Really, though, the main reason I haven't posted is because the internet connection has been coming and going, and going more often than coming. We're up for now, though, so let's see what I can tell you...
This week starts a new system with the violin school. I'd originally started out by giving each student a half-hour private lesson once a week, because that's the way I learned, and I didn't see why it wouldn't work. But, the students often didn't come to their lessons, and rarely practiced, although they still seemed interested in learning and would often come to other students' lessons. One week, one of my students came to probably 4 or 5 lessons, but "forgot" to come to his own. So, following Dad's very wise advice, I've decided to group my students in 3's and give each group an hour-long lesson once a week. And every Friday, all the groups will meet to play together. If yesterday's lesson is any indication, I think this is going to work 100% better. All three students showed up on time, and they paid attention and played well for the whole class. The kids here are such people-people (would that be the plural of "people-person"? or should it be "people-persons"?) that I think they're going to have a lot more fun playing in groups. Mom also sent me a bunch of goodies to "reward" (= bribe) students who practice, so we're getting a practicing system underway as well. And, possibly the best motivation of all, I've given them a date for our first recital. Nothing wrong with putting a little fear into them, I don't think. =) But really, they're a wonderful bunch of kids, and I'm completely taken with them all. I'll try to get some pictures up sometime soon.
Speaking of pictures, I know I've promised pictures of Bánica to a number of people and I still haven't come through, so I'll try to get some of those up here (hopefully) this week.
Other news items: Fr. Gee is in the states making his yearly retreat, so Fr. Creedon was down here this past weekend to cover for him. I had met him briefly when I went to visit Fr. Jack before coming down, and it was nice to see him again. He was the first priest that the Arlington Diocese sent down in 1991, when the only way of communicating with folks back home was driving to Las Matas to make a phone call.
Well, that's all for now. I hope you all have had a good start to 2007. Please keep praying for the mission, and know I'm praying for you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home