Saturday, September 01, 2007

One of my resolutions for this coming year is to update my blog more frequently. So, since I’ve been here a week already, and I’ve only written one line, I figured that I should probably post something a little more substantial before I blow my resolution right off the bat.
This past week has been spent just getting back into the swing of things – moving into a new house (more on that to follow), catching up with everyone, switching my brain back into Spanish mode, organizing my work schedule, etc. I’m so excited about my work for this coming year! It’s going to be busy, but it’s going to be great:
- The violin school is starting up again with 8 students, and the goal for this year is to have them start playing at Mass.
- Mrs. Kirby and I are continuing with the two Las Teresitas groups. This year we’re going to be learning about (and putting into practice!) the spiritual and corporal works of mercy.
- Because the Dominican Republic is officially a Catholic country, the public schools actually have catechism classes as part of their curriculum (in theory). It’s often a neglected subject, though, especially in the campos where the public school system is even less efficient than in town. So, Fr. Gee is going to arrange for me to teach catechism in a couple different campo schoolhouses (Las Cañitas and Hato Viejo). I’m a little nervous, because I’ve never taught in an actual classroom setting before, but I’m looking forward to it.
- Adult catechesis in Los Yareyes and Pilón and helping out with the CCD program round out the schedule.

As soon as I finish setting it up, I'll post a picture of my awesome new room!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home